Given that – The National Debt is at $20 trillion US Dollars and rising.
Given that – The US Congress is primarily responsible for the finances of the Nation.
Therefore – The following plan is proposed for all government shutdowns.
- Active duty and reserve military shall not in any way be penalized by the shutdown. All active duty and reserve military shall retain funding, as will all necessary support personnel directly involved in Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of all military units.
In addition, since the government is “shutdown”, the US will presumably be in a more venerable position relative to national security. Therefore active duty military and reserve personnel will be eligible for an increase in pay as negotiated by the newly reconstituted US Congress following shutdown.
- Salaries of all US Representatives and Senators shall be reduced to 59% of that salary received on the day prior to the shutdown (59% is close enough to the magical 60% vote threshold we hear so much about.)
- Congressional staff shall be reduced to one and only one junior level administrative assistant – someone to answer phones.
- All internet services to the US Capital shall be terminated.
- There shall be no government funded congressional publications produced during the shutdown period.
- Government funded Congressional transportation of all kinds shall be terminated for the termination of the shutdown. Travel at the members personal expense shall be allowed.
- Any and all Congressional per-diem shall be terminated for the duration of the shutdown.
- There shall be absolutely no future reimbursement for loss of salaries or benefits incurred during the shutdown.
- Redistribution of income from rich congressional members to those less fortunate shall be encouraged to balance out “Income Inequality” among the members.
Given that Civil Service agencies are responsible for the expenditure of the majority of tax-payer funds, the following Civil Service “streamlining” shall be done:
- For the duration of the shutdown, there shall be a 20% reduction in the top three levels of Civil Service, skewed heavily towards management positions. .
- Post shutdown, Civil Service shall be restructured to achieve a 20% reduction in the head count in the top three levels, skewed heavily towards management positions.
Note that this is a bi-partisan plan.
The Judicial Branch is not to be affected by this plan.
The Executive Branch, typically being the originator of budgets will be addressed via a separate plan.
Don Johnson – January 2018