Books I have Written
- Presumption of Innocence vs. Assertion of Ownership April 24, 2017
- Happy Anniversary My Honey April 9, 2017
- Bridging Two Worlds: a book review April 8, 2017
- What’s Become of the American Dream? April 8, 2017
- Make Your Bed! April 4, 2017
- Beyond He or She April 3, 2017
- Is Truth Dead April 3, 2017
- Should I Be Worried? March 31, 2017
- The Man In The Box March 30, 2017
- Just Thinking: thoughts concerning: Atheism, Creation, Evolution, Intelligent Design March 29, 2017
- Sam Jankovich: The Story of a Sports Legend March 29, 2017
- Vietnam Veterans Day: Department of Body Bags… March 29, 2017
- Asking the Right Questions: March 23, 2017
- Presidential Trust–Trump’s Turn March 22, 2017
- #RESIST March 17, 2017
- Phone Calls I Don’t Like To Make March 14, 2017
- Going Back to First Principles March 12, 2017
- The Hottest New Computer Is: DNA March 10, 2017
- Can information such as movies be stuffed into DNA? March 8, 2017
- Middlebury’s Statement of Principle March 7, 2017
- How Do You Judge America March 7, 2017
- The Miracle of Freedom– The American Baseline February 28, 2017
- Relax, Trump is stone cold sane February 28, 2017
- A love affair February 26, 2017
- Flying and landing at sea February 26, 2017
- The politician and the farmer February 5, 2017
- Is what we’re witnessing in the US a slow-motion downhill slide into a coup? February 4, 2017
- "I may not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." February 2, 2017
- Sam Jankovich–A Butte Kid Does Well January 31, 2017
- Closing In On Why Bogie Quit Talking January 26, 2017
- How can taking the life of an innocent human being be Constitutional? January 24, 2017
- Birthdays And Inaugurations January 20, 2017
- Announcing My New Book January 10, 2017
- Books Every ‘Seeker’ Should Read January 3, 2017
- Intelligent Design and the Manufacturing Process December 26, 2016
- Headlights Against the Storm–The Finest Hours December 17, 2016
- Challenging Darwinian Evolution December 15, 2016
- I Wouldn’t Have Done It That Way December 5, 2016
- A Tale Of Two Veterans Days November 23, 2016
- Crass Capitalist Marketing Campaign – Part 1 October 18, 2016
- How High Is Your Moral Bar? October 13, 2016
- On the Pressures of Doing Drugs – a note to my Grandchildren from one who has not been as pure as the driven snow. October 12, 2016
- I’m Voting With a Hope to “Keep the Republic” October 11, 2016
- Immigration & Assimilation – A Hungarian Model September 27, 2016
- The Mark of the Beast: When Information Storage Gets Under Your Skin September 20, 2016
- We’ve Been Here Before August 14, 2016
- The “Not-So-Intelligent Designer” August 5, 2016
- Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. August 3, 2016
- Hillary Clinton:” I Will Stand Up Against The Gun Lobby” August 1, 2016
- About Those Self Driving Cars, Trucks and Buses July 23, 2016
- Maybe We Should Pay More Attention To The Bible … Part 3 July 3, 2016
- Is there still a Constitutional/Conservative Republican Party? A Follow Up IMPORTANT June 23, 2016
- Ben Franklin’s ‘Apology for Printers’ June 20, 2016
- Liver Function and Its Effects June 11, 2016
- In Natural Disasters, Companies Operate Like Neighbors June 8, 2016
- Words for Today — Philippians 4:4-13 June 5, 2016
- Is America recoverable? June 3, 2016
- Some Sobering Thoughts for Memorial Day May 26, 2016
- Evolution? And The Marvel of Blood Pressure Regulation May 26, 2016
- Connecting a Few Geo-Political Dots May 24, 2016
- Am I still a Republican? Is there still a Constitutional/Conservative Republican Party? May 10, 2016
- Crass Capitalist Marketing Campaign – Part 1 May 9, 2016
- On the Pressures of Doing Drugs – a note to my Grandchildren from one who has not been as pure as the driven snow. April 26, 2016
- For You Inventors–A Mother Load of Ideas for Innovation and Invention April 7, 2016
- YOU CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN March 31, 2016
- How Jesus Christ Superstar Helps Us Appreciate Easter March 27, 2016
- The Irony of Bernie and Seattle March 27, 2016
- The Challenge of Easter – From the Wall Street Journal March 26, 2016
- Praying for “A Hedge of Protection” March 17, 2016
- Bridging Two Worlds: a book review March 13, 2016
- Censorship in Academia March 6, 2016
- Headlights Against the Storm–The Finest Hours February 23, 2016
- I am a Tea Party Patriot– revisited again February 18, 2016
- BRIDGING TWO WORLDS: A Book Report & a Friend February 9, 2016
- ISIS, the Nations and the End of the World –maybe it’s time to take the Bible seriously. February 7, 2016
- Loose Lips Sink Ships February 5, 2016
- Preparing for Dictatorship … Questions for the Younger Generations February 4, 2016
- Glenn Beck; the man with four hands February 3, 2016
- Hope–A note to myself from 1987 February 2, 2016
- Election 2016: The Possibilities are Bizarre and Frightening February 1, 2016
- GPS-less Navigation: A Study in Intelligent Design January 28, 2016
- The Refugee at My Corner January 2, 2016
- On old long syne — 2015 December 30, 2015
- What Course to Make Good 1SD? December 27, 2015
- What Ever Happened to the Men of Hawk Hill? December 24, 2015
- In Hoc Anno Domini December 24, 2015
- This Will Boggle Your Mind (Brain) November 30, 2015
- Sufficient Reason For Not Voting For Hillary Clinton November 30, 2015
- Animal Navigation November 20, 2015
- Neil deGrasse Tyson: Scientist or Ideological Propagandist? November 12, 2015
- Two Book Reports Part 2: 1944 – FDR and the Year That Changed History November 4, 2015
- Two Book Reports Part 1: Exceptional – by Dick and Liz Cheney November 4, 2015
- The Magic of Hats and the Journey of Ten September 25, 2015
- What Made America Great? A Rush Limbaugh Commentary September 25, 2015
- if you have evidence of design then surely you should be able to tell us exactly what that evidence is and what the mechanisms are that are responsible? — A dialog with a commenter at NCSE September 24, 2015
- Peace in our time: or Complicity to Genocide — the nuclear deal with Iran September 14, 2015
- 9-11-2015 September 11, 2015
- Either Modern Evolutionary Biology is Goal-Directed, or it is False! September 3, 2015
- Richard Dawkins: No moralist like an atheist moralist August 24, 2015
- Heroes August 21, 2015
- Loose Lips Sink Ships August 18, 2015
- A Spider’s Eye: Another Example of Design in Nature August 17, 2015
- Questions About Hillary’s E-Mails August 12, 2015
- Who or What Is the Designer in Intelligent Design August 12, 2015
- Our President Needs To Get Out More Often August 11, 2015
- “it’s all just a matter of line items.” – Planned Parenthood August 4, 2015
- A Glutton for Punishment –- Revisiting The National Center For Science Education (NCSE) August 4, 2015
- ‘A new set of wings’ Dr. Forrest Bird * 1921-2015 August 3, 2015
- My Pick for President in 2012 July 31, 2015
- In Defense of the VA July 29, 2015
- President Barack Obama Advocates More AIDS Deaths and Suffering in Kenya July 27, 2015
- Evolution Funding vs. Intelligent Design Funding July 23, 2015
- The Way of All Appeasement – Victor Davis Hanson July 23, 2015
- Transgender Shipmates? July 20, 2015
- Somewhat of a Hal Lindsey Grab Bag July 16, 2015
- A Nation Turns–Same Sex Marriage July 16, 2015
- Catastrophic Blunder July 16, 2015
- Step aside Hillary — predictions July 16, 2015
- The Eye – A Biological Miracle … but of what sort? July 14, 2015
- A Life Well Lived — July 13, 2015
- Good bye Thomas Jefferson — July 10, 2015
- Cruise Ships July 4, 2015
- Our Constitution – Our Morality – Our Court Decisions June 29, 2015
- A Refuge for Racists: The Democrat Party June 29, 2015
- The U.S. flag in Vietnam June 22, 2015
- There is no "try" in evolution June 15, 2015
- Europe 2015–An Overview June 11, 2015
- D-Day – 71 Years Ago Today: Hitler Youth vs. The Boy Scouts June 6, 2015
- Intellectual Dishonesty and White Privilege June 3, 2015
- Swimming Eagle June 3, 2015
- Dinosaurs, Sea Gulls and Museums June 1, 2015
- Global Warming and Dereliction of Duty June 1, 2015
- What Atheist Evolutionary Biologists Are Teaching These Days May 1, 2015
- Looking Inside A Living Cell May 1, 2015
- The Octopus: More Complex than a Simple Mollusk Should Be April 23, 2015
- Islam–Jihad … and the Ten Commandments – an update April 22, 2015
- "Cry ‘Havoc!’, and let slip the dogs of war". April 7, 2015
- What Possible Harm Could Come From Iran Having Nuclear Weapons. April 3, 2015
- Science & Faith: A Conference March 29, 2015
- Interesting People I Have Met: Cubic Defense Systems March 8, 2015
- What Design Looks Like: An NCSE Document – with comments by Don Johnson March 5, 2015
- Halsey’s Typhoon March 4, 2015
- Benjamin Netanyahu–The Speech March 4, 2015
- HITLER’: Finds Out About Brian Williams February 16, 2015
- Presidential Trust February 6, 2015
- The Crusades and Todays Islamic Push for Domination January 30, 2015
- More Evidence for Intelligent Design January 20, 2015
- Islam–Jihad … and the Ten Commandments – an update January 9, 2015
- Evidence for Intelligent Design: Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Robots … Robots that Mimic Human Movement January 7, 2015
- Digital and Analog Information Housed in DNA January 1, 2015
Blogs I Follow
Top Posts & Pages
- 34,823 hits
- Africa (5)
- American Exceptionalism (37)
- Athiesm (61)
- Barack Obama (48)
- Biblical Apologetics (18)
- Biblical Prophecy and Current Events (29)
- biographies (12)
- Biographies (1)
- Blog Posts (442)
- Books (4)
- Christian Apologetics (2)
- Communism (11)
- Constitution (27)
- Crap (5)
- Culture (70)
- Current Events (14)
- Donald Trump (2)
- Education (16)
- Elections (31)
- Evolution (72)
- Faith (65)
- Fun and non-controversial (2)
- George Bush (4)
- Glenn Beck (5)
- Global Warming (2)
- Government (16)
- Government Corruption (68)
- Heroes (38)
- History – lessons (86)
- Intelligent Design (80)
- Interesting people (18)
- Islam (6)
- Islam and the Middle East (21)
- Israel (18)
- Liberty (6)
- Navy (30)
- Occupy (6)
- Propoganda (2)
- September 11 (5)
- Tea Party (18)
- Technology (5)
- Travels (3)
Top Posts & Pages
Category Archives: FaithImage
Take a look at my new book where I take on the Atheist-Darwin crowd.
It’s a quick read with lots of punch — drop a comment back to let me know what you think.
I remember those nights as a kid laying out in the backyard on a clear Montana night. Laying out in that mummy bag gazing in wonder at the night sky and … just thinking …
How many stars are out there? How big is the universe? Does it have an end? If it has an end … then what’s beyond? How did it get there? How did I get here? How can there be something that has no end? Are there answers?
I think most of us have had such nights, and for many of us such wonder continues …
I’m one of those whose mind seems never to stop with the wondering … I just can’t shut it off — not that I want too.
So this is a collection of thoughts, conversations and writings that I’ve collected over the years. Thoughts and study that go back many, many years. The pages to follow come from my thinking and study on these issues, from my blog and from internet dialogs I’ve had with various people, mainly commenters like myself who seem to be passionate about the same questions and issues. Many have quite the opposite views as me, but that’s OK.
Don Johnson – January 2017
A friend posted this article originally titled “26 Books Every ‘Spiritual But Not Religious’ Seeker Should Read.” I didn’t catch why she excluded “religious” seekers from her list. Nevertheless, a worthy topic, and one I would like to expand on to include this “seeker” – me – and a list of my own that have influenced me in my 73 years of life.
I will begin in my late teens when I was dating my wife of now 53 years. She was a Roman Catholic, and I thought if this young romance is to go anywhere, perhaps I should learn a little of her religion. I had little or no religious beliefs, let alone knowledge, but I did understand that Catholicism was the oldest religion, and therefore if there was a “true” religion, this was most likely it. I don’t recall thinking of the many other religions – Islam, Buddhism, Judaism … I wanted to know about the “real” one — I was a “seeker.”
So at the age of about 18 I frequented the local library and started to read about Catholicism. I have no recollection of the books I looked into, but suffice it to say that this brief experience began my life as a “seeker.”
A few years later I would fall under the influence of my girlfriend’s older brother – an Atheist. Gordon had a persuasive gift of gab, and me being a “seeker” he had a ready student and introduced me to Atheism and Existentialism, hence the first books on my list.
- Why I Am Not A Christian — Bertrand Russell.
- No Exit — Jean Paul Sartre
- Being and Nothingness – Jean Paul Sartre
- The Playboy Philosophy – Hugh Hefner
Skipping ahead a few years, married and back in college after a time working and a Navy tour, I read books like this one:
- The Passover Plot — Hugh J. Schonfield
A book “debunking” the Jesus myth.
So during those years I guess I considered my “seeking” finished and I settled into a world view of evangelical Atheism – yes I was outspoken and mocking of all things religious. I’m sure there were other books from that era, but I don’t recall. The ones listed above were certainly the most influential in my life.
So at a ripe old age of early twenties, I settled into my “know it all” world view of Atheism. This lasted to age 36.
I’ll list the books that transformed my life (and that of my family as well) from that point on, beginning with the earliest:
- The Late Great Planet Earth — Hal Lindsey.
- There’s A New World Coming – Hal Lindsey
- The Rapture — Hal Lindsey
- Satan Is Alive and Well on Planet Earth — Hal Lindsey
- Others by Hal Lindsey
Lindsey’s books unexpectedly caught my attention when I innocently picked up his Late Great Planet Earth book back in 1980. I thought I was going to read a fanciful yarn akin to Erich von Däniken‘s “Chariots of the Gods.” What I got instead was Lindsey laying out a case claiming that today’s current events line up with the prophetic Biblical writings of thousands of years ago describing the “last days” of planet earth. This was like getting hit upside the head with a 2×4 and got my attention and interest.
Lindsey wrote his book in the 1970s in the midst of the Cold War when the Soviet Union was a strong and prominent player on the world stage and Communism was on the march in many parts of the world. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, it appeared that Lindsey might be off the mark in highlighting Russia as one of the key players in the “end times” scenario. However, Russia is once more prominent as a world power, and in fact is now positioned in the Middle east (Syria) whereas it was not in the 1970s – something to pay attention too.
There are many other thinkers and writers on Biblical Prophesy and I have read a number of them — some good and others not so good (an exercise for the student?). But let me move on …
Lindsey’s books, along with my study of the actual Biblical passages he highlighted, launched me out of atheism and into Christianity. But I was a total rookie and had many questions and internal conflicts. The following are some of the books and ministries that helped this “seeker” through those oft-times confusing times.
I could go on and on, but let me conclude …
During this period of seeking and growth back in the early 1980s, I actually did read the Bible through from cover to cover. One of the surprises I found, as one of the worlds foremost experts in that book that I had not previously opened, were the many practical lessons useful for living a full life … how to be a better husband, father, friend, employee, boss, brother, son, citizen …
So I would encourage you as a fellow “seeker”, don’t stop at being just a “spiritual seeker”, but press on to seek the whole banquet that will fill that hunger within you.
Don Johnson – January 2017
In my working days we built a complex distributed system consisting of 4 subsystems distributed over a large geographical space, interconnected with data links and including a subsystem containing a multitude of fast moving and maneuvering jet fighter aircraft.
In constructing these systems, we used a process called ‘Engineering Release (ER)’ where the various components of each subsystem, as well as the subsystems themselves, were released to manufacturing via a series of ‘Shop Travelers.’ These travelers contained detailed instructions on how the components were to be manufactured and assembled as well as a detailed parts list.
When the manufacturing process was complete, the various components and subsystems were integrated and tested in a lab setting, and then deployed and tested on site for use by fighter squadrons.
Preceding all this of course was the necessary design work – a goal oriented, purposeful and intellectual expression of the vision of those who saw a need for such a system.
It would seem that the human cell operates on much the same scheme. A cell containing complete and detailed information describing an end product and the shop travelers that guide that cell to its final use as a heart muscle, bone brain and more.
It’s called Intelligent Design (ID), and is the way all complex systems are constructed, whether they be human designed or the natural life we see all around us and within us. To think otherwise is folly.
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
It’s Christmas time again — OH GREAT!! All that Jesus stuff and all.
Ya know King of Kings … savior of the world … Oh little town of Beth… all the glitz and glamor … GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
But have you ever heard about the birth and life of this man called Jesus? I mean the backwoodsy place where he was born, his sordid family history, what his childhood might have been like … and more?
Take a listen to this message and be prepared to hear about the man who would and did and does identify with all of us … no matter our station in life and no matter how lowly we may think of our self.
Click on the image below and then view the sermon — “I wouldn’t have done it that way” to get a glimpse of the man we call Jesus.
A very interesting article …
A snippet from the article:
Evolutionary biologists are good at imagining how an ultra-complex organ like the liver could have come into being by talking about how it looks, but not how it actually works within the laws of nature to keep the body alive. But real numbers have real consequences and by using Tim’s case to highlight just five of the over five hundred functions of the liver, we will see what would have happened to our earliest ancestors without any one of them. After all, evolutionary biology claims that life came about by chance and laws of nature alone, so it must explain how transitional organisms survived as the liver gradually acquired these vital functions while macroevolution was taking place.
Click the link below to read the rest …
Don Johnson – June 2016
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.