“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” Benjamin Franklin
- The sequestration budget cuts amount to ~2 to 3% of the total budget.
- The claim is that our food will be unsafe
- The claim is that waits for air travel will extend by 90 minutes or more.
- The claim is that airports and control towers will be closed.
- The claim is that the military will be unable to function in an effective manner and unable to deploy.
- The claim is that many thousands of teachers will lose their jobs.
- The claim is that many thousands of fire fighters will lose their jobs.
- The claim is that many thousands of police will lose their jobs.
- The claim is that national parks will be damaged, and the roots of redwood trees destroyed.
- and on and on ……
- The budget will actually be a tad higher for 2013 than for 2012 because the “cuts” are actually cuts in the rate of increase, and not actual bottom line budget numbers.
This is a lot for me to swallow.
It says to me that our government runs at close to 100% efficiency and can not afford even the smallest decrease in funding.
Or, it tells me that the government thinks it is running at near 100% efficiency and can not afford even the smallest decrease in funding.
Or, this is all the mother of all big lies.
Or … it will all come to pass and we are all doomed.
I guess we’ll all see soon enough!
Don Johnson – February 2013