The Origins of the Universe … Simple or Complex, Your Choice: Part 1

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

The scope of that simple statement is breathtaking. The heavens in all their glory! Multiple upon multiple upon multiple billions of stars and galaxies stretching out as far as we can see with the Hubble Telescope to an astounding 31,000,000 light years away and the Whirlpool Galaxy. Now a light year is what we use to measure such distances, and it is not your ordinary household tape measure. A light Year is the distance that light travels at 186,000 miles/second in a year; or 6 trillion miles. So we have something that we can see and marvel over that is 31,000,000 x 6,000,000,000,000 miles away. Do the math, its a long long way away. Its even further away than the furthest Starbucks Coffee shop in my town when I run out of coffee early in the morning  …   now that’s far!

“Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers?…” Isaiah 40:12

He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.” Psalm 147:4

At the other end and close to home we have the really– really– really- really small. And it is just as incredible as the really–really– really- really large! Such as the DNA molecules which define life. And those really-really-really-really small things in all of us; the DNA, the chromosomes, the cells, the synapsis in our brains, all work together so we can think about and invent things like the Hubble Space Telescope so we can search out the mysteries of the really–really– really- really big things like the Whirlpool Galaxy!

The Laminin cell

And just two of those really small things, a single cell from your mother and a single cell from your father come together, each with half of their own chromosome, to form an entirely new and distinct person; you!

This new cell from your parent’s cells is somehow smart enough to split and divide and somehow know how and when to send some to become bone, some to become skin, some to become heart, some to become eyes, some to become feet and some to become hair. And would you believe it, the master designer of it all claims “As for you even the hairs of tour head have all been counted.” And as you go through life that same designer says “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.”  Isaiah 43:1

So He not only knows and names the really–really– really- really large, and the hairs on each of our heads, but He knows each of us by name. Wow! Can you imaging going to a Super Bowl game and watching someone going row by row, seat by seat and greeting each and every one by name, and not missing even one?

“Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers?…” Isaiah 40:12

So lets go back to those two images we saw above; first the Whirlpool Galaxy. Take a look at the very center of that galaxy. And then watch this clip.

Then take a look at the laminin cell and watch this clip.

But that’s not the end of it. Scientists now tell us that as much as we know about the universe, what we know is only about 4% of what they think is really there. The rest, the unknown 96 percent, is made up of Dark Matter and Dark Energy of which nothing at all is known.  And just the other day I found an article talking about Dark Force, an unknown force that is apparently pulling large portions of our universe to somewhere else.

My thoughts on these things will have to wait for a Part 2 of this series, so stay tuned. In the mean time, enjoy the ideas I have presented, and take time to explore my new found spiritual hero Louie Giglio.

Don Johnson – May 2012

Smile    Open-mouthed smile    Smile    Open-mouthed smile


6 responses to “The Origins of the Universe … Simple or Complex, Your Choice: Part 1

  1. Pingback: The Origins of the Universe … Simple or Complex: Part 2 … The Problem of “Massively Complex Synchronicity” | A Yearning for Publius

  2. Pingback: Are The Laws Of Nature Accidental? | A Yearning for Publius

  3. Pingback: Who Made God? A Response From The Author | A Yearning for Publius

  4. Pingback: Maybe We Should Pay More Attention To The Bible … Part 5: Can we trust the Bible as truth? | A Yearning for Publius

  5. Pingback: Intelligent Design: A far-far superior explanation | A Yearning for Publius

  6. Pingback: Creation vs. Evolution … Revisited | A Yearning for Publius

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s